What is Geriatric Rehabilitation?
Occupational therapy practitioners, much like medical doctors, have specialized areas of practice. Recent research has concluded that individuals over the age of 65 go through distinct changes in physical changes that require a specialized approach for remediation and rehabilitation. Rehabilitation for older adults should be multifaceted which means many areas of the body should be addressed within one treatment session for any ailment and diagnosis. When one area of your body is not functioning at its best, the rest of your body responds. Because of this, rehabilitation requires a productive aging specialist and an occupational therapist who can build a treatment plan that includes many areas of function such as the nervous, muscular, skeletal, circulatory, and cardiac -pulmonary systems. Buffalo Occupational Therapy is the only outpatient occupational therapy studio specialized in rehabilitation for older adults through Geriatric Rehabilitation in Western New York.
How does Geriatric Rehabilitation Work?
- An NYS board-certified occupational therapy practitioner will conduct a comprehensive evaluation including physical status, psychological status, cognitive status, and functional status using specific assessments.
- Buffalo Occupational Therapy practitioners will utilize a Neurologic-centered treatment approach in every session, regardless of diagnosis, to engage the brain and body connection which has been proven to promote increased cognition, reaction time, and mobility.
- A personalized treatment plan is created to address many difficulties simultaneously and a specific time frame is established.
- Assessment of personal environment whether it be the patient’s home, a family member’s home, or an assisted living facility is conducted when the physical goals of rehabilitation are accomplished to ensure carryover into everyday life.
- Rehabilitation treatments conducted to address physical needs, psychological needs, cognitive needs, and functional skills. Functional skills include personal daily living skills like dressing, bathing, toileting, instrumental living skills like laundry, dishes, and shopping, or other meaningful activities that add to one’s quality of life. Physical, psychological, and cognitive needs are equally important in any rehabilitative program.
- Education regarding the course of the patient’s diagnosis, current condition, potential treatment possibilities, and what to expect along the way.
- Caregiver training regarding how to assist loved one through mood changes, physical changes, decline in participation of daily living, physical mobility, and community mobility.
- Recommendations for appropriate home exercises, home modifications, durable medical equipment, and adaptive equipment throughout the course of recovery.
Why choose Buffalo Occupational Therapy?
- Immediate appointment scheduling with accommodating treatment times
- We are the only outpatient occupational therapy studio in Western New York specialized in rehabilitation for older adults, productive aging, and Neuro-based treatment methods.
- Competent and high-quality occupational therapy practitioners available to meet your needs
- All of our occupational therapy practitioners have monthly competency requirements including seminars, classes, testing, and research article reading.
- Individualized treatment plans
- One-on-one therapy treatment sessions to ensure maximum outcomes are reached and your time is not wasted.
- All occupational therapy plans of care are personalized to our patient’s needs and designed in collaboration with our patients and their caregivers, if applicable.
- Potential outcomes and course of recovery/habilitation are always discussed with transparency!
Areas of Practice
Upper Body and Lower Body Rehabilitation
In order to be functional experts, occupational therapists are fully trained in human anatomy- both upper body and lower body rehabilitation strategies and techniques. This allows us to address upper body and lower body diagnoses, posture, balance deficits, and more. We use various treatment methods such as exercises, stretching, training in body mechanics, massage and manipulation, endurance and stamina activities, stair climbing, walking training, and modalities such as e-stim, vibration, cold, and heat.
Vocational Rehabilitation helps you get back to doing what you love and find meaningful. If you have recently experienced a traumatic medical event, been given a diagnoses affecting your livelihood, or have a loved one needing support and training to enter the work-field for the first time, Buffalo Occupational Therapy can provide vocational rehabilitation for a reasonable cost.
Current research has revealed the human body goes through enough changes over the age 65 to demand a unique approach to medicine and rehabilitation. Buffalo Occupational Therapy uses a Neuro Therapeutic approach partnered with their knowledge of human development to treat older adults through Geriatric Rehabilitation.
Neurological Rehabilitation uses a variety of techniques and methods to promote neuroplasticity, neuronal re-patterning, and return of function to enhance daily living. It is used to help those who have been diagnosed with Neuro-related illness, like Alzheimer's, dementia, Parkinson's, or Multiple Sclerosis, suffered a stroke, brain injury, or spinal cord injury.
Buffalo Occupational Therapy is specialized in applying kinesiology taping techniques to the skin in order to enhance neural plasticity, support recovery, offer joint support, reduce chronic pain, decrease nerve pain, and help correct muscle imbalances.
Adaptive and Durable Medical Equipment
Buffalo Occupational Therapy offers specialized advice on appropriate adaptive equipment and durable medical equipment for aging in place as well as maximizing independence when living with a progressive disease or chronic illness. Offering low-cost options to address your concerns is something we pride ourselves on, and if we can't offer you a solution, we will find someone who can!
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Environment and Home Assessments
Ensuring your personal physical environment and home environment is accessible and safe is just one area of occupational therapy practice. Buffalo Occupational Therapy is specialized in assessing your physical symptoms and needs and applying this information to creating a livable environment both now and throughout the course of your diagnosis. Occupational therapists seek to maximize independence to keep you living in the place of your choice.
Cognitive Therapy and Dual Tasking
Buffalo Occupational Therapy has a special focus in neuroanatomy and what each area of the brain controls in terms of information processing, functional performance, and executing gross mobility. Where many other practices only work on mobility or only work on cognition, Buffalo OT is the only practice in Western New York, addressing both needs in one plan of care. Dual tasking and cognitive therapy is an area BOT feels very confident in addressing as we have seen amazing therapy outcomes.
Do we accept Referrals?
Buffalo Occupational Therapy accepts self-referrals through
direct access as well as referrals and prescriptions for
occupational therapy services from medical providers,
specialists, and Chiropractors. Because we know how
important it is to get started in occupational therapy right
away, we work with our patients to obtain the necessary
signatures and referrals for maximum insurance coverage.
Referring to Buffalo Occupational Therapy is simple!