Home Assessments and Physical Environment
Why are environment and home assessments so important?
Accessibility in your personal environment and housing spaces are directly correlated to your level of physical activity and functional performance. When someone’s physical space is inaccessible, a decline in function is oftentimes inevitable. Having your communities, buildings, and homes evaluated by an occupational therapist offers many benefits for wellness, safety, and resident longevity. If you have recently been diagnosed with a progressive diagnosis, are being released from the hospital or rehabilitation center after a medical event, or are facing an age-related decline, sitting down with an occupational therapist specializing in the physical environment and home assessments may be imperative to maintaining independence in your home. An occupational therapist can evaluate your physical space and make objective recommendations regarding potential modifications and adaptations. Likewise, if you are someone who lives in your home alone, an occupational therapist can evaluate your physical space and give you suggestions regarding how to make your space more accessible now as well as over the course of your diagnosis. Being able to sit down with a specialist in physical space one time can offer you a lifetime of independence in the place of your choosing.
How do environment and home assessments work?
- A comprehensive assessment of your environment and physical space will be conducted by an occupational therapist using a comprehensive evaluative format.
- Typically one visit with follow-up
- An occupational therapist will design, create, and discuss an itemized report offering feedback, recommendations, resources, and potential costs for rectifying any areas that may need to be addressed.
- Finally, we will analyze your diagnoses and current functional performance and discuss with you the future implications of your symptoms on your physical space. Is it likely you will be able to remain in your physical space? Are there preparations that can be made to maximize the potential of remaining in your home despite physical changes? A Buffalo Occupational Therapy practitioner will be with you every step of the way to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Why choose Buffalo Occupational Therapy for environment and home assessments??
- Immediate appointment scheduling with accommodating appointment times.
- Buffalo Occupational Therapy practitioners have an education and continued competencies in the physical environment and how one’s environment affects their independence and quality of life.
- An NYS board-registered Occupational Therapy Practitioner can come to your location to evaluate the environmental needs and provide recommendations for modifications, durable medical equipment, and adaptive equipment.
- Competent, professional, and high-quality occupational therapy practitioners available to meet your needs
- All of our occupational therapy practitioners have monthly competency requirements including seminars, classes, testing, and research article reading.
- A detailed report with recommendations, resources, and pricing will be individually designed and given to you upon completion of a physical environment evaluation.
- Clear cost-for-service with total transparency
Areas of Practice
Upper Body and Lower Body Rehabilitation
In order to be functional experts, occupational therapists are fully trained in human anatomy- both upper body and lower body rehabilitation strategies and techniques. This allows us to address upper body and lower body diagnoses, posture, balance deficits, and more. We use various treatment methods such as exercises, stretching, training in body mechanics, massage and manipulation, endurance and stamina activities, stair climbing, walking training, and modalities such as e-stim, vibration, cold, and heat.
Vocational Rehabilitation helps you get back to doing what you love and find meaningful. If you have recently experienced a traumatic medical event, been given a diagnoses affecting your livelihood, or have a loved one needing support and training to enter the work-field for the first time, Buffalo Occupational Therapy can provide vocational rehabilitation for a reasonable cost.
Current research has revealed the human body goes through enough changes over the age 65 to demand a unique approach to medicine and rehabilitation. Buffalo Occupational Therapy uses a Neuro Therapeutic approach partnered with their knowledge of human development to treat older adults through Geriatric Rehabilitation.
Neurological Rehabilitation uses a variety of techniques and methods to promote neuroplasticity, neuronal re-patterning, and return of function to enhance daily living. It is used to help those who have been diagnosed with Neuro-related illness, like Alzheimer's, dementia, Parkinson's, or Multiple Sclerosis, suffered a stroke, brain injury, or spinal cord injury.
Buffalo Occupational Therapy is specialized in applying kinesiology taping techniques to the skin in order to enhance neural plasticity, support recovery, offer joint support, reduce chronic pain, decrease nerve pain, and help correct muscle imbalances.
Adaptive and Durable Medical Equipment
Buffalo Occupational Therapy offers specialized advice on appropriate adaptive equipment and durable medical equipment for aging in place as well as maximizing independence when living with a progressive disease or chronic illness. Offering low-cost options to address your concerns is something we pride ourselves on, and if we can't offer you a solution, we will find someone who can!
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Environment and Home Assessments
Ensuring your personal physical environment and home environment is accessible and safe is just one area of occupational therapy practice. Buffalo Occupational Therapy is specialized in assessing your physical symptoms and needs and applying this information to creating a livable environment both now and throughout the course of your diagnosis. Occupational therapists seek to maximize independence to keep you living in the place of your choice.
Cognitive Therapy and Dual Tasking
Buffalo Occupational Therapy has a special focus in neuroanatomy and what each area of the brain controls in terms of information processing, functional performance, and executing gross mobility. Where many other practices only work on mobility or only work on cognition, Buffalo OT is the only practice in Western New York, addressing both needs in one plan of care. Dual tasking and cognitive therapy is an area BOT feels very confident in addressing as we have seen amazing therapy outcomes.
Do we accept Referrals?
Buffalo Occupational Therapy accepts self-referrals through
direct access as well as referrals and prescriptions for
occupational therapy services from medical providers,
specialists, and Chiropractors. Because we know how
important it is to get started in occupational therapy right
away, we work with our patients to obtain the necessary
signatures and referrals for maximum insurance coverage.
Referring to Buffalo Occupational Therapy is simple!