Neurological Rehabilitation in Buffalo, NY
What is Neurological Rehabilitation?
Neurological rehabilitation and a Neuro-based Approach to rehabilitation is designed to address the physical, psychological, cognitive, and functional difficulties that often result from a brain injury, stroke, spinal cord injury, or progressive neurological disorder (PND).
Neurocentric occupational therapy is crucial for those recently diagnosed with a formal progressive neurological disorder like Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, or Alzheimer’s or those recovering from an event that has affected their nervous system which could include infection, injury, or medical event to address needs from memory loss affecting planning and safety awareness or upper body contractures affecting joint mobility and independence. By approaching therapy from a neurological perspective, you can promote neural plasticity, make new connections between the brain and the rest of the body, and regain functional abilities.
**Not all therapy practitioners and clinics actively practice the principles of neurological rehabilitation. Please know you have options!
How does Neurological Rehabilitation Work?
- A comprehensive evaluation including physical status, psychological status, cognitive status, and functional status using specific assessments.
- Conversation and collaboration between therapist, patient, and family to discuss current neurological symptoms, the extent of the neurological injury, the therapeutic potential for recovery, and a treatment plan with desired outcomes.
- Assessment of personal environment whether it be the patient’s home, a family member’s home, or an assisted living facility.
- Regular treatments to address physical needs, psychological needs, cognitive needs, and functional skills. Functional skills include personal daily living skills like dressing, bathing, toileting, instrumental living skills like laundry, dishes, and shopping, or other meaningful activities that add to one’s quality of life. Physical, psychological, and cognitive needs are equally important in Neuro Rehabilitation as the brain works holistically and so should your treatment plan.
- Education regarding the course of the patient’s diagnosis, current condition, potential treatment possibilities, and what to expect along the way.
- Caregiver training regarding how to assist loved one through mood changes, physical changes, decline in participation of daily living, physical mobility, and community mobility.
- Recommendations for appropriate home exercises, home modifications, durable medical equipment, and adaptive equipment throughout the course of recovery or decline.
Why choose Buffalo Occupational Therapy?
- Immediate appointment scheduling with accommodating treatment times
- Competent and high-quality occupational therapy practitioners available to meet your needs
- All of our occupational therapy practitioners have monthly competency requirements including seminars, classes, testing, and research article reading.
- Individualized treatment plans
- Buffalo Occupational Therapy practitioners understand the importance of neurological-based treatment components and are skilled in building treatment sessions that integrate the nervous system and musculoskeletal system.
- One-on-one therapy treatment sessions to ensure maximum outcomes are reached and your time is not wasted.
- All occupational therapy plans of care are personalized to our patient’s needs and designed in collaboration with our patients and their caregivers, if applicable.
- Potential outcomes and course of recovery/habilitation are also discussed with transparency!
Unique Approach to Neuro Rehab
Plan of Care
PLEASE NOTE: According to evidence, neurological rehabilitation requires more than once weekly to see results! Buffalo Occupational Therapy asks all participants to commit to 2-3 times weekly for a minimum of 8-12 weeks to see evidence of motor learning. Motor performance will be seen prior to confirmation that true learning as taken place.
July 2021: Due to high demand for our neurological rehab program and intensive time requirements, there are limited enrollments available. Please call as soon as possible if you are interested in outpatient neurological rehabilitation or have recently been diagnosed with a progressive neurological diagnosis.
Intake & Commitment
- Medical History
- Prior Level of Function
Comprenhensive Evaluation with assessments and discussion :
- Whole Body Mobility
- Environmental Barriers
- Activities impacted
Phases 3, 4, & 5
We are whole body and work using our knowledge of the most up-to-date research of cognitive training, motor learning and mobility training. Phases 3, 4, & 5 are constantly being volleyed. Phase 3 represents manual therapy, modalities, upper body and lower strengthening, postural training, pain management, and stretching. Phase 4 represents seated balance training, standing balance training, and mobility aid assessments/training. Phase 4 represents task specific training where your therapist will simulate or directly engage in you in the activities, functional movement patterns, and cognitive-demanding activities you are seeking to improve or maintain.
This means that the plan of care is designed around what your body needs the most to support maximum performance. Whether it is an exacerbation of pain in your hips and lower back that needs to be addressed, posture changes, memory, or all of them combined, occupational therapy is able to treat the entire body using many techniques to ensure you can do what you want and need to do to remain happy and independent.
Areas of Practice
Upper Body and Lower Body Rehabilitation
In order to be functional experts, occupational therapists are fully trained in human anatomy- both upper body and lower body rehabilitation strategies and techniques. This allows us to address upper body and lower body diagnoses, posture, balance deficits, and more. We use various treatment methods such as exercises, stretching, training in body mechanics, massage and manipulation, endurance and stamina activities, stair climbing, walking training, and modalities such as e-stim, vibration, cold, and heat.
Vocational Rehabilitation helps you get back to doing what you love and find meaningful. If you have recently experienced a traumatic medical event, been given a diagnoses affecting your livelihood, or have a loved one needing support and training to enter the work-field for the first time, Buffalo Occupational Therapy can provide vocational rehabilitation for a reasonable cost.
Current research has revealed the human body goes through enough changes over the age 65 to demand a unique approach to medicine and rehabilitation. Buffalo Occupational Therapy uses a Neuro Therapeutic approach partnered with their knowledge of human development to treat older adults through Geriatric Rehabilitation.
Neurological Rehabilitation uses a variety of techniques and methods to promote neuroplasticity, neuronal re-patterning, and return of function to enhance daily living. It is used to help those who have been diagnosed with Neuro-related illness, like Alzheimer's, dementia, Parkinson's, or Multiple Sclerosis, suffered a stroke, brain injury, or spinal cord injury.
Buffalo Occupational Therapy is specialized in applying kinesiology taping techniques to the skin in order to enhance neural plasticity, support recovery, offer joint support, reduce chronic pain, decrease nerve pain, and help correct muscle imbalances.
Adaptive and Durable Medical Equipment
Buffalo Occupational Therapy offers specialized advice on appropriate adaptive equipment and durable medical equipment for aging in place as well as maximizing independence when living with a progressive disease or chronic illness. Offering low-cost options to address your concerns is something we pride ourselves on, and if we can't offer you a solution, we will find someone who can!
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Environment and Home Assessments
Ensuring your personal physical environment and home environment is accessible and safe is just one area of occupational therapy practice. Buffalo Occupational Therapy is specialized in assessing your physical symptoms and needs and applying this information to creating a livable environment both now and throughout the course of your diagnosis. Occupational therapists seek to maximize independence to keep you living in the place of your choice.
Do we accept Referrals?
Buffalo Occupational Therapy accepts self-referrals through
direct access as well as referrals and prescriptions for
occupational therapy services from medical providers,
specialists, and Chiropractors. Because we know how
important it is to get started in occupational therapy right
away, we work with our patients to obtain the necessary
signatures and referrals for maximum insurance coverage.
Referring to Buffalo Occupational Therapy is simple!